Re: Foobie

O Fenton Wells

As an old submariner, with diesel exhaust and hydraulic oil still in my system I can attest to that, the we used it on the 'boats' was a little less gentlemanly, I'm afraid.
Just say'in
Fenton

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 7:10 AM Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:
FUBAR is indeed a Navy expression- dating to at least WWII and is still in use today. Heard it in a meeting yesterday in fact ...
And the Navy context, and I believe Richard’s use of the derivative foobie, has nothing to do with boobies.

Marty McGuirk

On Feb 23, 2021, at 6:56 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 02:47 PM, Richard Townsend wrote:
And as you said, Tony, didn't our late resident linguist say 'foobie" was derived from "FUBAR?" That seems pretty authoritative to me.
Because FUBAR is an acronym... and it would have worked just as well as a noun. Stands to reason that since the F and U are important to the message being conveyed, that they would be retained in the new form; FUBEE, or FUBIE, with some descriptive words chosen so the result was still an acronym. Since such is not the case, I'm of the opinion that the origin is a contraction of "fake boobies", since fake is the demeaning idea Sir Richard wanted to convey. It doesn't make any difference if "foobie" never entered the general language; someone would only have to hear it once to latch on to it. Foobie certainly has the sound of the drivel TV writers have been pushing on use for the last sixty or so years.

As Smokey Stover would say, "Where there's foo there's fire!"

Dennis Storzek

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd