Re: ACL paint scheme

Ed Mims

Old painting and stencil drawings in my collection indicate that the ACL began painting flat cars black in about 1927. At least the oldest drawing I have with black paint specified was revised in 1927 to change to black. Before that they were painted dark green as shown in the revision notes on several drawings. Interestingly enough trucks on flat cars were painted with black "asphaltum" which may have been the material which was later referred to as car cement. More research is needed on this. So, I think John Golden is correct that gons and flats were "always black" at least after 1927. It is possible that all open top cars were painted black beginning in 1927 or there about.

The stencil color on all black open top cars is shown as white.

Ed Mims