Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Moving General Steel Castings

gary laakso

Elden:

Thanks, that is what I was looking for!  What color is the casting?  Maybe GSC did not white wash all their castings for the cameras!

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 6:23 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Moving General Steel Castings

Gary;

How about this one:  PRR FD1 casting on PRR F31A, 1951.

I have another somewhere of the F30A castings upside down shipped on a series of flats, but can’t find it.  There are also photos of loco frames on flats out there.  I have seen several.

PRR F30A, F41 and FD1 were all GSCC products.

They were loaded as raw castings, by overhead crane, unloaded by same, and then had all gear installed by PRR shops.  I have a “bare” F30A shot if you are interested.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gary laakso
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 3:26 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Moving General Steel Castings

GSC was located in Eddystone, PA, near the Baldwin Locomotive Works.  GSC supplied the industry with one piece engine beds/frames with cylinders cast integrally, tender trucks, tender under frames and trailer trucks.  Great Northern used their products in locomotive rebuilds and new construction as did other carriers.  It appears that Lima used GSC castings and I assume that ALCO did as well. 

Has anyone seen pictures of these castings enroute to end users or being unloaded? 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.