From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mont Switzer
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 11:01 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Burning Box Car

The Monon had the same problem with composite coke cars used as late at the 1960's. Coke was loaded in Indianapolis and hauled north to destinations throughout the Midwest.

It usually happed between Indianapolis and Monon.  Crew saw smoke, set the car out, local fire departments brought water, car usually burned all the way down, mechanical department picked up the remaining metal.

The Monon switched to gons with coke containers in the late 1960's.

Mont Switzer