Re: Red Owl warehouse

np328

    I gave a presentation years ago by now on national reefer movements which covered about a two year time frame and can give several reason why canned goods by reefers many of which I am sure Tony is familiar with from compiling his book (that I need to remember to bring to the next RPM and get signed.)

I had based this talk on actual AAR documents from 1956 - 1957. Not ideally my my modeled time frame of 1953 however close.

Philip,
   On their return trip in order to expedite them homeward, you could get three reefers for the price of one boxcar in the STMFC era.
Find more on the guidelines here: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/Refrigerator%20Cars%20for%20Box%20Cars    John Barry was kind enough to put them all into a pdf, found on the bottom link. That might be easiest to look thru.  And getting three cars for one. That might offset the loss of bunker space. And to keep temperatures uniform might be advantageous to higher end gourmet canned goods. Or keep Captain Crunch crunchy in a muggy summer.

         Reefers surprisingly - were busiest in winter time, providing what was referred to as Protective Service. Sometime protected from heat, other times cold.
To see what, look in the files here:  https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/Perishable%20Commodities,%20definition%20and%20list%20of
       Many goods need to be protected from temp extremes, and the above list shows many things that might be delivered to the "dirty bird" warehouse, a meme for Red Owl that was not uncommon here in the Twin Cities.  (In college that was a very welcome sight as one of my roommates mom often sent him up with extra groceries - for your house mates, and that Owl on several bags was a welcome sight. However didn't stop one of the fellows from stating, Ah, see your mom still shops at dirty bird.)

And at my presentation, someone walked out of the room commenting that it was a nice presentation, however they did not model winter.
         OK, think about that for just a moment, if winter is the busiest time for reefers, so the rest of the year there are reefer surpluses (mostly in spring and fall) and so these are the times one would see them hauling commodities - other than just harvested fruits and vegies.                       Jim Dick - Roseville, MN