Re: riveted PS-1's? (was Model Box Car End ID)

Tim O'Connor

Dennis - were the cars built with PS-style welded underframes or AAR underframes? The
PS underframe had features not found on the AAR design.

I know that some welded cars with PS proprietary ends and roofs had AAR underframes.
And I think those were all built before 1950.

Chew on this - most PS-1 ends after 1950 had welded mid-seams. But NOT all of them. The
Southern Pacific riveted B-50-37 "PS-1" box cars built in 1955 also had riveted mid-seams on
their ends. I have not checked other roads' riveted cars for this feature, but now I wonder if
any had welded mid-seams along with their riveted sides.

I just think some roads preferred riveted sides!

On 2/26/2021 6:33 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 02:26 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Those PS-1 ends were used on everyone's riveted PS-1 box cars. :-D

I have a nit to pick... since the defining feature of a PS-1 boxcar is its welded construction, can there be a riveted PS-1? Or, is it simply an AAR boxcar with Pullman-Standard proprietary ends and roof? The AAR did draft new plates (drawing sheets) detailing those ends on the AAR standard car of the day. The sheets I saw were revised in 1962, just after the close of discussions here, but have had several earlier revisions.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts