Re: Burning Box Car

Philip Dove

the undersides of cars catching fire from the friction of brakes was a reality. In 1983 on thecp at the Spiral tunnels We passed a freight train coming down and a high proportion of the cars were smoking and some had flames around their trucks or smoke fromĀ  near the middle. The engineer told me this was the older clasp brakes setting fire to the accumulated dirt underneath the car. It was a normal occurence on westbound freight trains and rarely spread to the cars structure, before it cooled down.