Re: Red Owl warehouse

Tim O'Connor

Unless these were extra special NP box cars, I'm not sure you can infer anything from the fact that a
load of sugar arrives inside an NP box car. Basically the sugar plant asks for a bunch of clean XM box
cars to load - and whatever clean XM box cars were in the yard that day, went to the sugar plant!

I agree the Red River valley is known for beet sugar. So is eastern Colorado. And California. NP XM
box cars were a common sight in those places.

Was -sugar- refined in Hawaii?? I thought the raw cane was shipped (by the shipload) and processed on
the mainland. I know there was a huge Hawaii sugar cane mill in northern California, and there was another
one in Brooklyn NY for sugar cane from the Caribbean islands.

On 2/27/2021 12:05 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Todd the sugar is interesting. Sugar beets were a common crop in Northern Iowa and Minnesota in 1949, with several sugar beet processing plants in the region. The NP could also have been hauling Hawaiian cane sugar from the PNW ports.

I also question the SLRX cars, whose reporting marks are often confused with Swift SRLX marks. But the numbers do match SLRX cars. Could the loads have been mis-labeled to reduce pilferage?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org