Re: Mystery Tank Car IDs - TKX

Jack Mullen

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 09:08 AM, Todd Sullivan wrote:
Interesting place to have a headquarters.  Hancock, NY was on the NYO&W line on the Delaware River deep in the heart of NY State's Southern Tier.  A pretty small town, well off the beaten track, near Cadosia, the junction of the NYO&W's lines from the Penna Northern Anthracite Field and the meandering line that served small farming towns on the way toward Oswego.  Not sure how manufacturing phenols and such from coal tar (from anthracite? the clean coal?) figures into the HQ location.
The Thomas Keery Co. business was destructive distillation of hardwood, not coal. Principal products could include methyl alcohol and acetic acid with charcoal as a residual byproduct. Acetone, formaldehyde, and various phenols and esters can be produced. By c1900 Keery was headquartered in Hancock with plant in Cadosia, closing in 1945. It appears that the industry was practical on a relatively small scale, with moderate capital and labor, capable of producing rail-freight traffic volumes. Proximity to a sizeable hardwood forest would be essential.
I'll post some links later when I can get on my pc, but right now I have to cook sourdough pancakes.

Jack Mullen