Re: Red Owl warehouse

leakinmywaders

I can't speak to changes in sugar shipping economics between the 1940s and 1960s, but I can offer evidence that in 1969, from a study of conductors wheel reports, the NP was shipping plenty of loads of bagged sugar from Great Western Sugar in Billings, MT to St. Paul and Minneapolis for interchange with other railroads.  I can add that in that year,  numerous empty NP boxcars and bunkerless reefers passing eastbound through Jamestown, ND were consigned for Great Western Sugar in Billings, MT.  Empty cars consigned for Holly Sugar, and the American Crystal sugar plant in Drayton, ND also appear in Jamestown NP wheel reports, but in smaller numbers.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT