Re: PFE Express Reefer Color

Bryian Sones

Ray, also something to consider. I'm not sure if you are planning to redo the car but..... The Champ BR-340 and Martin's Decal set are Gold on more of the orange side of the color spectrum in which I believe to be the correct prototype color.

I'm not sure what the font color is on the Walthers Car but the Intermountain BR-40-10 is a Gold that is more on the yellow side of the color spectrum.
If that is the case it may be difficult to get everything to look right so you may need to redo everything.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 07:22:51 AM PST, Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Ray,

I have a set of Champ Blue Ribbon BRH-34. One sheet has a slight bend or crease on it when I bought it.  Other than that both decals are in mint condition.
I could sell them to you at a fair price plus the shipping. I was having trouble finding more of them years ago and gave up.
When Martin Lofton Of Sunshine Models came out with his BR-40-10 (R-40-10) I bought a stack of decals from him so I don't need the Champs set.
PM me if you want them and we can work something out.

Kind Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Sunday, February 28, 2021, 05:25:40 AM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Ray

If you can find them - CHAMP HX-11 and CHAMP BRH-340

On 2/28/2021 1:22 AM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Ray Carson wrote:

I currently have a Walthers GACX express reefer that I was doing some modifications to match it with the PFE prototype. The problem is I got carried away and damaged the paint and some of the wood sheath details on the sides. Even though express reefers aren't technically considered freight cars but passenger cars, I was wondering if the PFE cars were actually dark olive like the UP and SP heavyweight cars or just the general Pullman green.

Dark Olive Green.

Also what are some good PFE decals to go with these cars? The Tichy decals are rather off as I look at them.

Not sure what is currently available.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts