Re: Mystery boxcars - anyone know what these are based off or of any similar cars?

Cap,

As others have noted, these are Train Miniature cars. The Stark Trees boxcar with wooden ends might be convertible to a number of prototypes, especially if you shave off the grabs and don't count roof battens, except for that side sill that sticks out so alarmingly. Of course the door tracks and those huge Athearn-like claws are a serious flaw.

The 3/3/3 end on the SP car would be rarity. This one might be better if you cut the ends off and replaced them with Tichy or Westerfield pieces, depending on your possible prototype.

In general TM boxcars might have some historic value, but they really don't stand up to modern scrutiny. I had a mess of TM boxcars from when they were pretty much the only game in town, and all were sold off long ago except one I reworked with added separate details and custom lettering. Their all-wood refrigerator cars might have more applications for kit-bashing as reefers or boxcars (they lack that annoying sill), especially for a fictional private roadname. I have a couple of reefers that were on their way to becoming early boxcars for my Virginia Midland, but they're still sitting on my workbench. Someday maybe.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM CapnMatter <capnmatter@...> wrote:
I bought these cars for cheap at a trainshow the other day, I knew when I bought them they'd need work. I'm sure there's cars that line up with these, I just don't know of what. Anyone know?

Dimensions-
141.2mm long, or in HO 40ft
33.3mm wide, or 9ft 6in
35.9mm tall, or about 10ft tall