Re: Red Owl warehouse

Tony Thompson

So you can update your blog, junction point between CB&Q and MILW was East Moline, IL., shown in pencil on the waybill.  Route shown on waybill was common for "diversion", also called "roller", lumber.  Typical of these types of shipments was routing via obscure junction points to further delay the shipment while a broker found a buyer.

Thanks, Dan, I hadn't picked up on the "East Moline." But the original waybill shows the final destination that was in fact used. I suppose it was the "fallback," and if a better price had been found, it would have changed.
      My experience with West Coast lumber waybills, is that they often were routed somewhere, say Los Angeles from the Northwest, in care of the agent for diversion. A local lumber broker would make the sale and notify the agent where to send the load, or it might be routed onward to somewhere like St. Louis, to be held again in hopes of a better price. Some perishables moved that way too.

Tony Thompson