Re: AB brake component location on the SP A-50-4

Tim O'Connor

Lots of A-50-6 box cars got AB brakes, and they were mounted in a conventional
way as you can see in this photo. The A-50-6's were rebuilt for "hog fuel" (wood chips)
and lost their roofs. If any A-50-4's got AB brakes I feel sure they would have the same
brake arrangements.

There are no A-50-4's left in the 1955 roster (ORER). I wonder if the modified cars
were only intended for MofW (company) service.

An example of this would be SP 63298, which became SPMW 1168 on January 21, 1953
and was assigned as a "tool car".

Tim O'Connor

On 3/4/2021 12:31 PM, kevinhlafferty wrote:

I have just started building the Speedwitch SP A-50-4 kit and would like to update it with AB brakes. The kit is supplied with K brakes and states that no A-50-4s made it past 1953 as there is no evidence of them being equipped with AB brakes. Since the kits manufacture, Tony Thompson has posted a blog with car maintenance records for some of the cars in the class, and it is clear that indeed at least some of the class did receive AB brakes and continued to operate beyond 1953. I'm just wondering if anyone on the list would have any info regarding correct component location. I would assume that the cylinder would be mounted in the same location as the original but what about the triple valve and the reservoir? I could guess at where these would be based on common practices but was hoping someone might have more detailed info. Thanks,
Kevin Lafferty

Sterling, Massachusetts