Re: Locomotives to the USSR via Portland, OR and the SP&S

Bruce Smith

Gary, Elden, Folks,

Unless you have some evidence, I highly doubt that the carriers supplying the flat cars controlled the routing. There are several reasons for this.

1) Shippers controlled the routing (usually).
2) During WWII, car service rules were suspended for flat cars, so car owners no longer had any control over the movement of their cars.
3) If anyone was dictating routes for war materiel, other than the shipper, it would have been the ODT (Office of Defense Transportation).

Shipments of the S160 type locomotive (2-8-0) were common to both coasts. ALCo, Baldwin, and Lima all contributed. With the release of the Roco S160 a few years back, I got more serious about modeling this traffic, as the previous S160 in HO was a kit from DJH, but both cost in the range of $300+ and that does seem a bit steep for a flat car load, where I plan to gut the electronics and motor ;) (so if anyone has a Roco S160 that blew its guts… let me know!

I have numerous photos of these loads. I downloaded 5 or so photos that were from links to the museum of U of Montana, posted by you, Gary, to this list, back on March 16, 2012 - so I’m not sure why you told Elden there were no photos ;) I’ll post some when I get home tonight. I also remember that there is a photo in DeNevi’s book America's Fighting Railroads: A World War II Pictorial History.

BTW, these were called the Sha class by the Soviets.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Mar 9, 2021, at 12:38 PM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

Paul Hobbs wrote a lengthy article in the Winter 2021 issue of The Northwest’s Own Railroad on the 200 built 2-8-0s in the 5’-0” Russian gauge delivered to SP&S for shipment to the USSR via Vladivostok  followed by 1,500 2-10-0 “kits” for assembly by Willamette Iron and Steel Company and ending with steam boilered electric power generation multi car units.

The carriers supplying the flat cars to the locomotive builders controlled the routing with ALCO products going via NYC, EJE, CBQ, GN, SPS.  NYC used their flatcars numbered 499213, 499346, 499778, 499136, 499260 and 499676 hauled a shipment of 8 2-8-0s.  All were 52’-6” flatcars of 140,000 lbs. capacity.  Shipments of locomotives from Baldwin were routed PRR, CB&Q to the S. Paul connections.  The decapod kits were shipped on 3 flat cars and the dock area was regauged to 5’-0” to hold them awaiting freighters.  The article notes that ships to Vladivostok did not travel in convoys and were regularly inspected by the Imperial Japanese Navy at sea.

The electric power plants were in 3-car, 8-car and 10-car units.  The ten car consist had two locomotive boiler cars, two coal tenders, one turbine, one condenser, one switch gear car, three cooling water tower cars, one maintenance and crew quarters car,   The units were built by Westinghouse, GE and ACF with Russian couplers  (requiring two PRR gondolas as converter cars)and spare Russian gauge trucks to be added at the port.    The first 10-car power train was routed ACF Berwick, DLW, NKP, CBQ, NP, SPS.  While the first train was allowed to move at 40 mph, all those that followed were limited to 25 mph.   The trains also included up to 6 cars of parts plus the replacement trucks.

Other routings included ACK Berwick, DLW, NYC, CNW, NP SPS with gondolas used including PMCKY 92323, 91587, RDG 23964, PLE 43777, 48581 and THB (! )2217.

This is a meaty issue of the SP&S quarterly.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock