Re: [EXT] Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Locomotives to the USSR via Portland, OR and the SP&S

John Barry

The National Archives at San Bruno holds records from the Office of  Defense Transportation Liquid Transport Department.  Among the files are records of tank car movements of asphalt to Hanford Washington, 100 octane aviation gasoline from Richmond to Reno, and the attached correspondence about cars of linseed oil routed to Dorward at Richmond via the Santa Fe.  Dorward had a tank terminal at Point San Pablo on the Richmond Belt and handled consolidation of more than a few tanker loads destined to Vladivostok as the Soviets took advantage of their neutrality towards Japan to move much lend-lease material from the west coast via a supply line out of reach of the Germans.  In addition to the locomotives and other rolling stock (some of which shipped from California ports) other commodities moved by rail for transhipment in freighters and tankers included several shipments of alcohol. In some cases, distillers shipped direct to Richmond, in others, the Commodity Credit Corporation transferred trainloads of stored product from Baton Rouge Louisianna to Richmond to meet the Soviet tankers.

Inline image

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 08:42:44 PM EST, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Garth,

Nice photo of the decapod kits!

While it certainly is likely that home road cars were used for these loads, it is by no means a rule. Thus, Baldwin built S160s could be loaded on ANY available flat car, without concern about car service rules.

Here's a photo of USA S160/Sha class #93 and tender. The engine is on a NYC flat. The tender is on an ATSF flat (40 ton). I'm pretty sure that they were loaded at the same place 😉 Now, you're going to say Aha!  #93 is on a NYC flat, it must be an Alco product! And you would be right that it is an Alco product. Sha 1-89 were Baldwin, Sha 90-148 (class USA/TC S166) were Alco, and Sha 149-199 (class USA/TC S162) were also Alco.

Here are a few photos that Gary posted links to 9 years ago, from the Museum at the University of Montana, purportedly passing through Missoula. These are Sha 24 and 25 on PRR F30A flats. These are Baldwin built (wait, that's disproving my point about random flats!). Unfortunately, the links from that message are dead, but fortunately, I downloaded the photos. Note the tenders loaded in gons.

BTW, a great resource on all of these locos is "Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War, by R. Tourret, Tourret Publishing.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL