Virginian Cars

Friends,

While rambling through my photos this morning I came upon a couple of Virginian survivors from our era of interest that were still running (on borrowed time) in the 1980s.

Hopper 1112 is from Virginian series 1000-2499 a 40' car with a volume of 2573 cubic feet and rated for 70 tons. It was found on a C&O siding in Charlottesville, Virginia about 1985. What it was doing there is a puzzle. I never saw another Virginian car on the C&O.

Wood rack 809 was found about the same time in Crewe, Virginia on the N&W. This car is from Virginian series 800-834, with a 42' IL, but was 46' overall. No puzzle here, as the Virginian had been taken over by the N&W many years before, so technically it was on home rails.

These were the last Virginian cars I ever saw. When I first came to Virginia in 1982, I saw quite a few Virginian hoppers (along with NKP) at the N&W coal terminal in Norfolk. Naturally I shot photos, but one of the lens elements in my Canon FTB had slipped out of place, and the photos were all blurry. I'm going to be scanning the negatives from my early days in Virginia soon, and there may be more Virginian cars that are sharp enough to share.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆