Re: Door opening size on an LV 8500 series Autombile box

Tony Thompson

Awfully close for SP Class A-50-14.
Tony Thompson

On Mar 24, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The Proto model are "generically" correct for the paint schemes they offered but I don't
think they are 100% correct right out of the box for any prototype.

Tim O'Connor

On 3/24/2021 2:31 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Bud,

My October 1958 ORER says a 15' opening. It is a little bit hard to be sure if both doors are the same width in your photo due to perspective, but it looks to me like they are the same. I have the Proto 2000 model of car 8516 (stock # 21025 from the first run) with equal doors which in combined width seem to be about 15' 6". This suggests the actual width of each door was about 7' 9".  Usually the original Proto 2000 cars got most things right (I said "Most"; the LV car's sills aren't quite the same as your photo.)

Yours Aye

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:37 PM Bud Rindfleisch <BlackDiamondRR@...> wrote:
Gents,
    I don't have access to an ORER that would give me the door opening size to an LV 50' autobox in the 8500-8599 series. It looks like two evenly sized doors but they don't look to be 8 footers, so 7 foot maybe? Any help?
    Bud Rindfleisch -  attachment scanned from Morning Sun CNJ/LV freight and PassengerEquipment in Color

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts
<lv 8516 Proto2000.JPG>
<lv_8505 50ft_DD_box AAR end-door builder.jpg>