Re: Unfinished project from Jim Hayes

Schuyler Larrabee

What is the origin of the kit?

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy Carlson
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2021 3:54 PM
To: STMFC <realstmfc@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Unfinished project from Jim Hayes

Before his passing, Jim Hayes sent me a picture of a kit he purchased from me decades ago. It is a GN 1958 built stock car, rebuilt from GN's 31000 series of 40' Z-bar Pratt truss SS box cars. GN converted over 1000 box cars into stock cars in the late 1950s. Donors were USRA DS cars, 1937-1942 DS 45000 series of box cars plus the above mentioned series. They even famously made long glacier green painted stock cars from mating pairs of 40' box car donors.

Jim and I had quite a few phone calls together in his last months--made me wish we had visited years earlier. I met Jim at a Naperville RPM met and he was always easy to converse with. I already miss his late evening phone calls.

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

Inline image