Unfinished project from Jim Hayes

Andy Carlson

Schuyler asked about the stock car kit Jim Hayes had partially assembled. It is a 55xxx series of GN, rebuilt from a box car, stock car done in 1958. These were the only 40' GN stock cars with steel doors, reused from the donor box cars.

About 20 years ago I made this kit in resin from my Mid-Century Models line and sold a few before I left the resin market. Jim's purchase was from that long-ago time.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 12:48:01 PM PDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

What is the origin of the kit?

Schuyler

Subject: [RealSTMFC] Unfinished project from Jim Hayes

Before his passing, Jim Hayes sent me a picture of a kit he purchased from me decades ago. It is a GN 1958 built stock car, rebuilt from GN's 31000 series of 40' Z-bar Pratt truss SS box cars. GN converted over 1000 box cars into stock cars in the late 1950s. Donors were USRA DS cars, 1937-1942 DS 45000 series of box cars plus the above mentioned series. They even famously made long glacier green painted stock cars from mating pairs of 40' box car donors.

Jim and I had quite a few phone calls together in his last months--made me wish we had visited years earlier. I met Jim at a Naperville RPM met and he was always easy to converse with. I already miss his late evening phone calls.

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

Inline image

Inline image