Re: Tichy wheel car

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith wrote:

If they are new wheelsets, somebody screwed up and didn't protect the axle bearing surfaces 😉

    True, assuming they were otherwise ready for service. But often the machining of the bearing surfaces (and sometimes the wheel tread (to make sure contour was right) would be done somewhere other than the wheel foundry.
    I discussed all this, and showed prototype photos, in my article on trucks and wheels in the _Model Railroad Hobbyist_ issue for September 2016. The scene on my layout, of workmen changing out wheelsets in a truck, has both shiny and rusty wheel treads, but all journal surfaces are shiny. See below.

Tony Thompson