Re: Tichy wheel car

Ed Mims

I can assure you that Richard Webster's description of a wheel change in a railroad shop or car repair track is accurate. You can not remove or apply a solid bearing wheel set without first removing one side frame from its position in the truck bolster to provide space for the axle to be positioned (or removed) in an integral journal box type side frame. Trucks with separable journal boxes, such as Andrews trucks, are much easier. The journal boxes can be removed along with the axle being changed out whiteout disturbing the bolster. The wheel set can be replaced with the journal boxes installed on the axle and the journal boxes re-bolted to the side frames.

All repair track "truck stations" that I am familiar with were equipped with a means to lift the heavy truck parts, i.e. jib cranes or other devices.

Ed Mims