Re: Tichy wheel car

Tony Thompson

   Some have asked, off-list, for a citation of the SP video I mentioned. I don't have a link and don't know if it's on-line or not. But I did write a blog post on the topic of wheel production in SP's shop at Sacramento, and it includes some photos from the SP employee  magazine, _SP Bulletin_, one of which shows a workman rolling a wheel on its edge. That article was in the July 1953 _SP Bulletin_. Here's a link to the blog post if you're interested:

     Railroad car wheels were produced by several commercial companies and sold to railroads. But large railroads (like SP) with their own wheel foundry, assembled those wheels into wheelsets in their own shop, in this case Sacramento.

Tony Thompson