Re: NJI&I to Wabash at Pine - Part 3

Jack Mullen

 On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 01:10 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
NJI&I 4233 appears to be a rebuilt War Emergency box car! When was this done?
Well spotted, Tim!  They were indeed. Wabash's Emergency boxcars 87000-87224 were built by Decatur shops in 1944. The in-house design differed from most other WE boxcars, in that the side sill was an angle placed with the vertical flange against the outer face of the side posts. I suspect that feature made it pretty straightforward to add steel sheathing.

According to Pat Wider's article in RPC19, 50 were converted and transferred to NJI&I  in Jan. 1961 the remainder by July 1962.

Jack Mullen