Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2021 1:59 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Soda Digester On PRR Flat Car (Circa 1920)

Photo: Soda Digester On PRR Flat Car (Circa 1920)

A photo from the Maine Memory Network:

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/5637

Click on the photo and scroll to enlarge it.

“S.D. Warren Paper Co. of Westbrook, Maine used this soda digester or sulphite digester fabricated at the Portland Company, which fabricated machines from steel and is one of the longest continually running factories in New England. This machine combines sulphite with the wood pulp to soften the pulp enough to create paper fiber.”

Notice the stakes placed to keep the cradles from shifting laterally and the steel(?) rods securing the load.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA