From: Andy Carlson <midcentury@...>
Date: 4/7/21 1:43 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Gondola clip and it's use?

From research done years ago I seem to remember these being supplied by the Wine company. 1/2" round bar bent into a loop and the distal ends were bent out to about a 30 degree angle which separated the loop from the car sides allowing the tie-downs. Those distal ends were electric welded to the side. Most HO models of these are flat to the car side and don't project out at all. Years ago I took some 0.006" wire and bent some for this purpose, but I felt the effort was not worth the appearance. The CA glue did a reasonable fine job of emulating those welds!

My early work on making a resin 29' Greenville 1953 built WP coil steel gondola had these clips. These prototype parts were not welded to the bulb angle, but rather to the field of the sides.
Inline image
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 4:11:12 PM PDT, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

George;

No, they are tie-downs for securing loads.

The were usually welded to the outside side of the top chord, or tops of sides, or even sides of ribs toward their tops.  They were very useful with metal banding, especially.

See attached:

Elden Gatwood