Re: PFE Reefer in NYC Express Train

Tim O'Connor

Unfortunately Martin chose the prototypes - General American wood sheathed and the
later all steel cars - that both became excellent mass market plastic models. Prices for
brass models of GN steel express box cars and express reefers have held up rather well
I think because they are distinctive and there is no plastic alternative.

How is the old passenger car market doing anyway? I saw an article on a huge uptick
for Marklin train set sales in 2020... I wonder if anything like that happened here.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/11/2021 7:09 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io wrote:
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:49 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Maybe we should bug Steve Funaro for a resin kit. :-) These PFE BR-1 express reefers enjoyed long
careers from the 1920's to 1960 and perhaps later. And they travelled all over.
On the secondary market, the Sunshine kits that do the worst are the express reefers. I guess freight car folks think of them as passenger cars, and there aren't enough passenger car modelers to pick up the slack.

Tom Madden

Sterling, Massachusetts