Re: Image of CN 3903 36ft ss box Portland ME 1924

Schuyler Larrabee

Dave Parker wrote:

Which is not to say that other "baby standards" weren't present in New England, they were.  Specifically, Indiana (Amoco), New Jersey (Esso), and Atlantic (the PA and DE territory)

Dave. I realize you’re in CA, but “New England” has a western boundary at the New York State Line.  Indiana (not even close), New Jersey, PA and DE are decidedly not in New England.

New York is sometimes a “wanna be,” but as a New York Native, I know it’s not.

Schuyler (grew up in Binghamton, now living in Newton MA)

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Parker via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2021 7:33 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Image of CN 3903 36ft ss box Portland ME 1924

As Ben indicated, the six New England states plus NY comprised the marketing territory assigned to SOCONY after the 1911 breakup.

Which is not to say that other "baby standards" weren't present in New England, they were.  Specifically, Indiana (Amoco), New Jersey (Esso), and Atlantic (the PA and DE territory)

Likewise, SOCONY, under various guises (Mobilgas, Lubrite, Magnolia, others), was able to market in areas initially assigned to other baby standards.

This crossing of territorial boundaries was most often accomplished by buying up smaller local/regional refineries.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.