Re: HOn3 D&RGW caboose (amended)

Bryian Sones

The caboose side widow configuration is typical of the D&RGW short caboose.

The single window side would have the stove with a bunk next to it. 

The model Mark found on  brasstrains, is correctly modeled 0578  (all spotting features I mentioned seem to match the prototype pics)

The trucks on the model have been replaced. They are Blackstone Caboose trucks.

The dual brake cylinder I believe is an error. It should have a brake cylinder and air reservoir on the other side.   

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Monday, April 12, 2021, 02:21:53 PM PDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Mark!  Thanks for this find, that is the caboose, EXCEPT that the trucks are different.  The one in the linked images has outside hanger brakes, where as the trucks for the subject model do not.  I suspect that the trucks on the brasstrains.com guide page are replacements.  I can tell you that disassembling the caboose this morning convinced me that it has never been disassembled before.

It also appears that the person who painted that caboose removed the brass cast scale coupler pocket in favor of a Kadee box.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Rossiter
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 5:06 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] HOn3 D&RGW caboose (amended)

There is an entry on the BrassTrains.com website that looks a lot like your model that indicates it was imported by PFM in 1964.  The detail on your model looks to be about that vintage.  Although this site claims the builder was Katsumi, I believe United may have utilized a number of builders to produce models under their name.  PFM was a heavy user of United.

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/27059/HOn3-Rolling-Stock-Caboose-Pacific-Fast-Mail-Denver-Rio-Grande-Western-CABOOSE

Mark Rossiter

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.