Re: Photo: SP Boxcars (1930)

Dave Parker

Given the absolute domination of the world nitrogen market by Chilean nitrate until after WWI, I must confess to be being very dubious about the Summary's implication that this was the first shipment ever received my the SP.  Maybe the caption-writer really meant this was the first shipment carried by the SS Capac and handed off to the SP.  This is still striking as the ship was sold to the WR Grace Co and renamed the Capac in 1926.  Until it was torpedoed in 1942, it apparently plied the waters between South America and our Pacific coast, and Chilean nitrate should have been a common cargo.  There is a nice brief history of the ship here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cardina

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA