Re: NJI&I to Wabash at Pine - Part 5 & Last

Andy Laurent

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
<!doctype html>
I wonder if the siding loads are wood or metal. I assume they are housing siding.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN
Eric,
Mastic Corporation in South Bend made siding for buildings.  It was the 'faux pattern' type, typically made to resemble/cover brick or clapboard. They started in asphalt in 1932, and began making vinyl siding in 1964.

The pipe loads were likely corrugated metal pipe from Armco, also in South Bend on the NJI&I.  I would guess that the tractors on the EJE car were a partial unload/multi-stop load.

Andy L.
Madison, WI (grew up in South Bend, IN)