Re: [Funny names and pronounciationss

Nelson Moyer

In Louisiana, Lafayette is pronounced LAUGH’ e ette.  Like ‘Laugh it up’ except with a strong ‘e’ and the ette, pronounced like I ain’t ‘ete’ (ate) yet. My sister once lived there.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 1:13 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] [Funny names and pronounciationss

In Tennessee, Milan is pronounced My-lan. And Lafayette is LaFAYette.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan