Re: looking at the string of cars, going from left to right

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund wrote:
"I've spent a little time taking in and enjoying the scene linked below...

I'm not an expert, but looking at the string of cars, going from left to right, I'd suggest we have the following...
(1) C&O offset side twin hopper
(2) C&O offset side twin hopper"

Yes, both AAR alternate standard offset twins.

"(3) Unknown to me 50ft steel auto boxcar - thoughts on this?"

GTW.

"(4) C&O twin hopper, looks similar to the USRA design"

USRA design, but NOT C&O - L&N.

"(5) C&O offset side twin hopper"

Again, NOT C&O - L&N.

"(6) MILW 40ft steel horizontal-ribbed boxcar
(7) C&O 40ft gon
(8) L&N 40ft gon"

Correct - note that both gons are carrying coal.

"(9) C&O offset side twin hopper"

Another AAR alternate standard offset twin.

"(10) Unknown to me twin hopper - herald makes me think B&O maybe? Thoughts?"

B&O Class N-12 subclass; not a USRA design car judging by the appearance of its end sills.

Ben Hom