Re: [Funny names and pronounciationss

Steve and Barb Hile

The Milan in Illinois is also My- lan, although I believe that Lafayette is LA-fay-ette

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 1:13 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] [Funny names and pronounciationss

In Tennessee, Milan is pronounced My-lan. And Lafayette is LaFAYette.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Apr 19, 2021, at 1:01 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan