Re: [Funny names and pronounciationss

Brian Termunde

Todd,
I always thought of Riddle more as a joke! <G>. There's also Drain were there used to be a train show (perhaps it's continued since my departure from Oregon. Another interesting name is the one time capital of Oregon, Champoeg! It just so happened that on one of my trips to Portland and the Gorge, I just was passing the exit for Champoeg when the radio station I was listening to mentioned some about 'Shampooing' and realized it was Champoeg!

Regarding Andy Carlson's message, I certainly hope Mike Brock is ok, it does seem like it's been a while since we've heard from him.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Re: [Funny names and pronounciationss
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:01:16 PDT
There used to be a wonderfully entertaining book called "Oregon Geographic Names."  Not sure if it is still in print.

You can add Riddle, OR to your list, Brian, and Arock and Lone Rock.  I also like Speece, OR on the UP's branch to Shaniko.  Nothing there except space.

In Massachusetts, where I was born, there are lots of pronunciation challenges: Worcester, Gloucester, Billerica, and names that sound like sneezing - Cochituate, Athabaska and Situate.

Todd Sullivan

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.