Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Loading Auto Stampings Into PRR Gondola

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Group;

After much close examination and head-scratching, I believe what we are looking at is a PRR class G31D number 376358 (I think).

The Budd-produced underbodies are for an unknown manufacturer, but Budd was doing multiple stamping projects for various manufacturers in the suspected timeframe.

G31D were favorites in these kind of services, with 52’6” IL, wood floors, and fixed end.  They were easily fitted with specialized service equipment.

The big end frames seem to have been a PRR thing to prevent tipping of the load in impact.

The low side rails are a feature I have rarely seen on PRR gons, but make sense.  It would allow tie-down of the underbodies without use of the clips, and provide some more confinement of the load.

Here’s another G31D, this one in frame service (I think).

One could make a model of this car, from either what I did on a G31D is different equipped service:  a Con-Cor kit-bash with DA ends and new details, OR the spendy version, a Tangent kitbash with new fixed ends (much better base) and added frame and side rails.  Good luck with those underbodies, though!

Elden Gatwood

Photo: Loading Auto Stampings Into PRR Gondola

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1999228_0033

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA