Re: URTX/Milw Reefer Survivor

ROGER HINMAN

Very nice photos, thanks for sharing. It appears to be one of the many ACF cars that URTX had. My notes show this series were the earlier 1922 design so I question the 1920 build date. The 5.jpg clearly shows the 2 but the last digit appears to be hidden under the piece of wood. January 1923 would fit the delivery of the second lot of ACF cars.

Roger Hinman

On Apr 20, 2021, at 8:14 PM, Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

Gregg Condon forwarded these recent photos of this URTX/Milw wooden reefer in Winona, Minn., serving as a storage shed, and until recently hidden under falsework siding.

Here's the backstory, In Gregg's words:

"Railfanning is wayyy fun, especially when you discover the wayyy unexpected. Pat and I were driving down a street in Winona. We passed an old business building just as a couple guys finished tearing the end off an old shed and I saw it was lettered "URTX." I sez to Pat in a frenzy, "Go around the block!" We went back and she shot the attached pix with her phone. Dark cloudy day, but you can see that perhaps 80 to 90 years ago somebody had nailed two-by-two batts to a wooden refrigerator car and nailed siding over that. Built date is 1920. Interesting to see the preserved true paint colors from that era."

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Attachments: