Re: Photos: Chicago Freight Yard

Jack Mullen

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 03:30 PM, Bill Parks wrote:
Does anyone have any information on the piggy back trailers in the pictures?  I've never seen any with a waffle side like those.
Not really a waffle side. These are otherwise normal exterior-post vans which have three horizontal strips welded to the outer faces of the posts as rub rails to protect the posts and side from damage if sideswiped.
The nearest trailers are XTRA 276592 and XRTZ 275933 (I think).  XTRA's early pig trailers seem to have been built for durability.
Prevalence of 40' trailers on 89' or 85' flats puts this bunch of photos somewhere a bit past the end of the steam era, though  a lot of the boxcars and conventional flats clearly are STMFCs. And to be clear, IIRC both XTRA Inc. and ICC approval of 40' trailers date from c1958.

As Dennis said, cool pictures!

Jack Mullen