From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 2:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

Having watched barges and tows on the Mississippi River, I know there are winches on the barge, used to tighten all lines. There are also large binders used by the crew to tighten lines that are not directly tied to the tow. This keeps the barges and tow (what the tugs are called on the river) as a rigid single unit. Note the two barges are tied together at the nose, with no visible slack.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org