Re: Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

SamClarke

Not being a barge expert, since I was born and raised in Nevada, I can see the reason of the “V” as the tug is actually pushing against sides of the barges sort of wedged in. The lashing is meant to keep the barges from spliting from the force of the tug and not the towing force. I imagine that the tug has more control pushing the “V” rather than pushing (pulling) on the lashing if the barges were lashed more symmetrically.

As I mentioned earlier the trucks look like 1954/55 Internations thus dating the photo to about that time.

Sam Clarke

R&D / Tech Advisor / Artist

Kadee Quality Products Co.

mail@...