Re: Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

SamClarke

Not being a barge expert, since I was born and raised in Nevada, I can see the reason of the “V” as the tug is actually pushing against sides of the barges sort of wedged in. The lashing is meant to keep the barges from spliting from the force of the tug and not the towing force. I imagine that the tug has more control pushing the “V” rather than pushing (pulling) on the lashing if the barges were lashed more symmetrically.

As I mentioned earlier the trucks look like 1954/55 Internations thus dating the photo to about that time.

Sam Clarke

R&D / Tech Advisor / Artist

Kadee Quality Products Co.

mail@...

541-826-3883

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevinhlafferty
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 4:31 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

As noted previously by both Dennis and Bruce there are indeed aft lines securing the tug to the barges; the port aft line is visible in this view taken moments before. Also visible in this view is a considerable amount of slack in the fore barge to barge line which would indicate that the lashing isn’t quite as secure as it might be. I would guess the aft lines are working overtime at this moment. Not having experience in large nautical equipment I have to ask is there some advantage to a V configuration of the barges vs. a more symmetric lash up?

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsnorth/id/11580/rec/2

Kevin Lafferty

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 2:12 PM

Having watched barges and tows on the Mississippi River, I know there are winches on the barge, used to tighten all lines. There are also large binders used by the crew to tighten lines that are not directly tied to the tow. This keeps the barges and tow (what the tugs are called on the river) as a rigid single unit. Note the two barges are tied together at the nose, with no visible slack.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of cptracks
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 12:04 PM

Interesting. The tug is churning along under power towards the bottom of the picture. Yet the cables off the tug's bow up to the barges have no slack. How does that work?

On 26/04/2021 9:58 a.m., Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

Photo: Freight Cars On Barges

A photo from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Libraries:

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsnorth/id/11939/rec/60

Click on the arrows and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

-- 
Colin Riley
20-2500 Florence Lake Road
Victoria BC V9B 4H2

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.