Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photos: Boxcar Cleaning Equipment

Daniel A. Mitchell

Boxcars (and other cars) often used dedicated cleanout tracks. That is a whole different story however, not what is being discussed. The topic so far has been automated car emptying devices ... to remove loads, usually grain or other bulk materials.

Dan Mitchell

On Apr 29, 2021, at 5:34 PM, Larry Buell <lbuell@...> wrote:

At Corwith Yard (ATSF), Chicago we had a dedicated boxcar cleaning track gang until 1983.  First the dunnage was removed, then the car was swept out and finally washed down with a portable power washer.  We had two tracks the length of the Junction Yard that were tilted toward each other for runoff and drainage.  The single lane pathway between the two tracks was paved with asphalt.  After most of the freight houses lost their leasees, there was no need for car cleanout.
Larry Buell