Re: SP Freight Car Color.

Ken Adams

I am not an airbrush user so I can't give you an opinion on using Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 in an air brush. But as a color, I have found it a very good match to the faded freight car red that would typify an SP house car (box, stock, most reefers were PFE) in the 1945-55 period. To my eye it is a close match to the Star brand SP-UP FCR from PBL. I have my original containers of the PBL and Tru-Color SP paints on hand for checking the match when I was looking for an acrylic replacement for more toxic paints after encountering breathing problems when painting.

When I am painting an SP model either plastic or resin, I usually prime with Tamiya Oxide Red from rattle can. Over the fully dried primer I hand brush the Vallejo Brunt Red 70.814 using a soft square shaped brush.

Works for me as I live in an apartment like town home with no place to set up a paint booth and have proper ventilation. I spray the Tamiya on the veranda/deck timed in the short intervals between gusts of an almost constant 10-15 mph wind these days. The garage is owned by the HOA which doesn't like me setting up for painting.  Such is life.
--
Ken Adams