Re: Photo: SWPX Tank Car 202 (Shawinigan Chemicals)

Richard Townsend

General American built the first aluminum-bodied tank car in 1928. You are right that few existed by 1933. 

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 9:19 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SWPX Tank Car 202 (Shawinigan Chemicals)

Interesting photo, and I thank you for drawing it to my attention.

Given that this car did not appear in Shawinigan Chemical listings until 1946, despite an 8/1933 built date, I think we’ll find that it had a previous identity as a U.S. car (possibly GATX) — which would explain why the capacity is noted in U.S. gallons, rather than the Canadian standard of Imperial gallons (BTW, the ratio is roughly 6 U.S. gallons to 5 Imperial gallons, and for many years this was the conversion ratio used on stencilled capacities).

As an aside, I can’t imagine that many tank cars were built in 1933, especially aluminum tanks...

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

On May 3, 2021, at 6:33 PM, Bill Kelly <wbkelly@...> wrote:

The car is listed in the Canadian Section of the tariff so is listed in imperial gallons. The car is stencilled in US gallons for some reason. The dome is closer to 216 US gallons.
Later,
Bill Kelly

Richard Townsend wrote:
And after posting this I see the end lettering says 8,153 gallons. I was looking at the 1955 tank car tariff. I guess the car number got reused or the tank itself was changed.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 2:53 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SWPX Tank Car 202 (Shawinigan Chemicals)

This tank car had a capacity of 6,760 gallons, and the unusual dome (check out the riveting around it, plus the shape) was 180 gallons. Aluminum tank with heater coils.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 9:22 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SWPX Tank Car 202 (Shawinigan Chemicals)

Photo: SWPX Tank Car 202 (Shawinigan Chemicals)
Photo from the Pullman Library:
Click on the photo twice for maximum enlargement.
Built 8-1933. AAR Class 201-A35
Aluminum tank.
Info on the company from the ‘net:
“The Shawinigan Carbide Company, forerunner of Shawinigan Chemicals Limited, was established in 1901 by Thomas Leopold "Carbide" Willson, who invented the carbide manufacturing process in 1892. The plant was sited at Shawinigan Falls, Quebec, in order to take advantage of surplus electric power produced by Shawinigan Water and Power Company, itself established in 1898. In 1909 SWPC gained a controlling interest in Shawinigan Carbide Company and in other Willson companies, and in 1911 reorganized them as the Canada Carbide Company. In 1915 SWPC established the Canadian Electro Products Company to manufacture acetone and other products for the British war effort. With the loss of its markets in 1918, the new company directed its research facilities to the development of chemicals for civilian consumption; thenceforth the company and its successors based their production heavily on original research. In 1927 Canadian Electro Products and Canada Carbide Company were amalgamated as Shawinigan Chemicals Limited.”
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.