From: Ian Cranstone <lamontc@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 9:19 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SWPX Tank Car 202 (Shawinigan Chemicals)

Interesting photo, and I thank you for drawing it to my attention.

Given that this car did not appear in Shawinigan Chemical listings until 1946, despite an 8/1933 built date, I think we’ll find that it had a previous identity as a U.S. car (possibly GATX) — which would explain why the capacity is noted in U.S. gallons, rather than the Canadian standard of Imperial gallons (BTW, the ratio is roughly 6 U.S. gallons to 5 Imperial gallons, and for many years this was the conversion ratio used on stencilled capacities).

As an aside, I can’t imagine that many tank cars were built in 1933, especially aluminum tanks...

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

On May 3, 2021, at 6:33 PM, Bill Kelly <wbkelly@...> wrote:

The car is listed in the Canadian Section of the tariff so is listed in imperial gallons. The car is stencilled in US gallons for some reason. The dome is closer to 216 US gallons.
Later,
Bill Kelly

Richard Townsend wrote:
And after posting this I see the end lettering says 8,153 gallons. I was looking at the 1955 tank car tariff. I guess the car number got reused or the tank itself was changed.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR