Re: Accuracy Of The Official Railway Equipment Registers

akerboomk

1)    They were only as accurate as the data the railroads supplied

2)    I have noted a couple times where an intermediate line was removed but the following line’s “CLASS” field (using “dittos”) wasn’t fixed for an issue or 2
(but now I can’t seem to find the specific examples, so the example below is “made up”)

e.g.

-------------------

1-100     BOX, SPECIAL

101-200 BOX

201-300 “

--------------------

Became

-------------------

1-100     BOX, SPECIAL

201-300 “

--------------------

And then

1-100     BOX, SPECIAL

201-300 BOX

3)    Once they claimed there were 110 cars in series 12500-12599

But, as Ed said – it is remarkable the accuracy they had

(but then again, how would we know if they are wrong? – in particular the car counts)

--
Ken Akerboom