Re: Accuracy Of The Official Railway Equipment Registers

Charles Peck

On the subject of MAJOR rebuilds, I recall a story from my grandfather who was a boilermaker foreman
at the L&N RR South Louisville Shops.  He told of "rebuilding" a locomotive where they could not even
 salvage the old numberplate. He told that there was basically an open budget for repair and no authority
or budget for new construction. Therefore, as long as you could use any significant piece of a wreck, it
 was a repair. Even if nothing but the old sand dome and throttle, it became a repair with the old number
and all the latest modifications.
I can imagine a car shop working under that same limitation.  Rebuild anything, but no new construction.
Chuck Peck

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM, Ian Cranstone wrote:
and they also had the interesting practice of extensive rebuilds of cars (1890s era), in which a boxcar would be rebuilt – which pretty much seems to consist of jacking up the number and inserting a completely new car (28’ or 29’ foot cars would emerge as a 34’ or later a 36’ car)
The Soo engaged in this practice also, again very evident in the caboose fleet. Dimensions inexplicably change for just one car in a series, and the records just claim "rebuilt." I've made my peace with not arguing with the primary source; if they say it was rebuilt, it was rebuilt. But I'm thoroughly convinced that the rebuilding process consisted of stripping the trucks, ironwork, and stove from the wrecked car and applying them to a brand new body, built to the then current standard.

Dennis Storzek