Accuracy Of The Official Railway Equipment Registers

Andy Carlson

As Tony stated, "......rebuilding on most railroads faded away after 1948."

A notable exception was the Great Northern--whose large rebuilding programs came to be with a warp speed after the early 1950s and was following a rather lackluster rebuilding program prior to 1948. Lucky for us, these post 1948 rebuilds produced quite a few cool cars.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 11:19:37 PM PDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Ken Montero wrote:

This "rebuilding" probably was a result of federal tax laws.

It is my understanding that, during our time period, railroads were allowed to write off (deduct) the cost of "repairs" much quicker than they could depreciate new construction (whether built in-house or by someone else) for tax purposes.

True, but this changed greatly in 1948, when the IRS considerably tightened the rules on rebuilding. You will notice that those giant rebuild and refurbish programs on most railroads faded away after 1948.

Tony Thompson