Re: Work crew emptying gon with shovels (was L&N 51098)

Don Burn

Claus,

Only a guess but I suspect that the gondola is hauling limestone.   It looks granular in the photo, and there were a lot of limestone quarries in that region.

Don Burn

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 10:16 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Work crew emptying gon with shovels (was L&N 51098)

Hi List Members,

A few days back we were looking over an image that had (among other interesting things) a scene where workers were shoveling coal out of a gon into waiting coal trucks.

The image below also has this same theme going on - perhaps this is not coal (it seems light-colored), and the coal truck is replaced by a horse drawn cart, but the work is the same! Too bad we cannot identify the gon... altho if I let my imagination help me a little, I think I can discern PRR on the gon end. The locomotive might be a PRR class H1/H2/H3 coming toward us. This is all happening at the Pennsylvania Depot, Wolcott, Indiana, 1908

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 12:00 PM

Subject: L&N 51098 (was NRC Banana Reefer)

Hi Gary and List Members,

I especially like the mini-scene with the two gondolas carrying coal. A bit difficult to discern, but looks to my eyes it looks like there is a work crew of at least two men in the gon L&N 51098, bent over like they are shoveling the coal. Note the A C Jones coal trucks parked directly next to to the gon. An entirely modelable scene for any size railroad, don't you think? It appears the B&O 257952 gon is also involved in the same operation

My Dec 1930 ORER sez the following about L&N 51098: series 50000-56499, 40ft 6in IL, 100000 lb, 6448 cars,  MCB type GA

My memory sez MCB type GA is a drop bottom gon, is that right? In that case, are the drop doors being used by the crew to help in unloading, or are they just using the shovels to toss the coal over the gon sides and into the truck beds? Thoughts? I checked B&O 257952, it is type GM (mill gon) which I think would NOT have drop doors of any sort...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----

To: 'stmfc'

Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2021 11:18 PM

Subject: [RealSTMFC] NRC Banana Reefer

It sure is dirty:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51123193132/in/album-72157718970883282/ 

The B&O boxcar appears to have had many wood pieces replaced in its roof.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.