Re: Yosemite Portland Cement Incline

Jack Burgess

Garth…

Your summary is fairly accurate.

For a long time, all of the Yosemite Portland Cement buildings (except for the 275-ton storage bin which was used to load the cars and the buildings at the top of the incline) where still there were until destroyed by forest fires a decade ago. The quarry was located about a mile from the top of the incline and limestone was transported from the quarry to the crusher at the top of the incline by standard-gauge Plymouth locomotives.

Henry J. Kaiser (one of the Six Companies which built Boulder Dam) later wanted to get the bid to construct a dam in Northern California but didn’t get the contract so he submitted a bid to supply the concrete cement for the project. After winning the bid, he built a very efficient cement plant west of the San Francisco Bay and could then outbid all of the other cement companies in California. Those companies were in collusion, letting one company submit a high bid on a project and still get the contract. YPC was one of those companies and knew that they could not compete against Kaiser Permanente (yes, Henry Kaiser also started Kaiser Permanente hospitals). Kaiser offered to purchase YPC since he knew that he could sell the equipment for more than the purchase price.

The YV purchased 51 hopper cars in 1924 and initially used them to deliver rock to make concrete for the construction of a dam on the Merced River (which resulted in the relocation of 24 miles of YV mainline and the construction of five steel bridges) so the hopper cars were called “rock cars” on the YV. The Sierra Railroad purchased some identical cars for the construction of a dam near its mainline. Upon abandonment of the YV, 3 cars were sold to Amador Central Railroad, 10 to the Apache Railway, 4 to Santa Maria Railroad, and 32 to Kaiser interests in Southern California. The car in Yreka was actually an ex-Pacific Gas and Electric car, apparently purchased directly from the company that was selling the ex-GN cars.

Interesting question about moving the cars with archbar trucks. Possibly the fact that they were not loaded got around that issue.

As mentioned, Westersfield has a kit for these cars. After Al Westerfield released a kit for a longer version of the same car design, I asked him to considered releasing a kit for the 22-foot car and that I could give him detail photos of the cars since the Sierra Railroad had three of these cars on display along the highway leading to Jamestown. Al later told me that it was the first kit that he released that was for a car which still existed.

Attached us a photo of some of the Westerfield rock cars at the 275-ton storage bin at Emory on my layout.

Jack Burgess