Re: Yosemite Portland Cement Incline

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 08:46 AM, Jack Burgess wrote:

Interesting question about moving the cars with archbar trucks. Possibly the fact that they were not loaded got around that issue.

You realize that in our time frame the "ban" on archbar trucks simply said they couldn't be offered in unrestricted interchange. The railroads were free to haul anything that they could be persuaded to agree to. It was common practice for the railroads to agree to haul obsolete equipment on the basis of 'to home shop for repair'. This relieved them from the obligation to repair the equipment for the ARA fixed charges should it break down en route. Back in my early days of railway museum involvement in the seventies we had a lot of things delivered on its own wheels that would NEVER be accepted in interchange.

Dennis Storzek