Re: Photo: Unloading Something From A Boxcar

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 09:56 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

I believe the description for this photo is incorrect.

What I see are bags of some dry material being unloaded and mixed in the rear of the truck.

I also see what may be a scale near the boxcar door, possibly for weighing the material in the bags.

I’m guessing here.

What do other see?

The "industrial tractor" looks to me like the small batch trucks paving contractors used on highway projects back around WWI. It doesn't need headlights 'cause they don't work after dark. These trucks were loaded with measured amounts of stone, sand, and Portland cement then driven to the mixing machine to be mixed right where it was to be poured. Years ago SS Ltd. made a good model of the batch mixer in HO. I always thought that the cement was just measured by the bag, but perhaps in this case the bags are inconsistent, or someone is just being a stickler for detail.

Some good photos of early highway paving on this web site:
https://www.matichcorp.com/project-gallery/highways/

Dennis Storzek